Friday 31 October 2014

'Birdie' ready to take flight



Raheem Belgrave, better known as ‘Birdie’ is a young goalkeeper with dreams of representing this country at the very highest level. He is on the right track too, having already represented T&T at the Under-17 and Under-20 levels in his junior years. The former St. Mary’s College standout made his professional debut last week in the First Citizens Cup semi-finals and was almost able to inspire his Jabloteh team to victory in a penalty shootout. 

‘Birdie’ has a battle on his hands to secure the #1 spot for Jabloteh though as Jamaican custodian Shane Mattis has been in good form so far this season and will be anxious to get back between the sticks once he has fully recuperated from his injury.
I was able to catch up with ‘Birdie’ recently and found out a bit more about the promising goalkeeper.

Belgrave Profile
Full Name: Raheem Belgrave
Nickname: Birdie
DoB: 7 November 1992
Hometown: D’Abadie
Schools: St. Mary’s College, University of the Southern Caribbean
Position: GK
Favorite Player: Adam Johnson (Admires his humility and skill level)
Best advice received: Do your best because that’s the best you can do (Rolie Polie Olie TV Show)
Major Teams: T&T U-17, T&T U-20, Jabloteh

'Birdie' (left) in greener days: Sharing a light moment with then St. Mary's captain Kyle Beggs.
Photo Courtesy CaptainU


Q&A
Q: When and where did you learn the basics of the game? And who taught you?
A: In primary school, the coaches of skhy would work with us as children. At that point I was not motivated to be a footballer. Entering St. Mary’s College, I felt my passion for the game begin to grow. I returned to SKHY and with the guidance of both Colin and Dexter Skeene and Joel Hyacinth, my potential was being molded. I must thank them for aiding me in becoming the player I am today.
Q: How has the transition been from Secondary School and youth football to Pro ball?
A: It was quick. Playing in the secondary school’s football league I had somewhat made a name for myself especially after making the junior national team. The levels and intensity of training is definitely a step up because unlike in youth football, professional football is your job, your career.
Q: Why do you think so many of our young players fall through the cracks?
A: There are so many external influences both positive and negative that circulate around us. As time goes by the difficulty of staying focused on your goal becomes much harder. Without proper coaching and guidance at junior levels, this trend of ‘players falling through the cracks will continue.
Q: You went on a trip to England recently. What was the main goal of your trip?
A: My main goal (or goals) were to attain a professional contract, get into the English footballing system and begin my career.
Q: How was the experience?
A: I would describe the experience as very enlightening. It’s interesting how a couple months in the home of football could open your eyes as much as they did mine. I’ve made many friends, met various coaches, visited some of the best stadiums in England and my list continues. I intend on returning in the near future.
Q: What are your immediate and future plans?
A: In the short term, I would like to continue training with my goal in mind, learn from the experience that I have around me so that my game can develop. In the medium term, I would love to make the national U23 Olympics team in hopes of going to RIO 2016 and finally, my long term plan is to play top level football in England, namely the premier league and represent Trinidad and Tobago in a World Cup.
Q: What would you like to achieve before your career is over?
A: Representing Trinidad and Tobago at a senior level is a must for me. I am very Passionate about the sport and about my country as well. Also, know that I have assisted others in attaining their goal as well. It’s all about the future. Playing in both the premier and Champions league are two other personal achievements id like to fulfill as well.
Q: What advice would you give to young promising footballers such as yourself?
A: Always have a goal in mind. You can always become better. Listen to your coaches and people with experience because they have been in your position already and should aid you in making far less mistakes that you would have made were you on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment